How to Pick a Company Name
There are different name granting rules between jurisdictions; however, in determining whether your proposed name is suitable, there are three elements that make a successful name:
1. a distinctive element, which distinguishes your business from all others engaged in the same business activity. It may be the name of a person or thing, a dictionary word used in an unusual way, or a coined word (i.e. made-up word “Docu-Tek”);
2. a descriptive element, which describes the type of business the proposed company will carry on; and
3. a legal element, which indicates the legal status of a company as an incorporated body; for example: Thomas Landscaping & Design Inc.
- Thomas – distinctive element
- Landscaping & Design – descriptive element
- Inc. – legal element